True to the previously leaked information, OPPO today at Inno Day 2020 has officially introduced the concept of the OPPO X 2021 roll screen phone that it is developing.
The most surprising aspect of this smartphone is that it doesn’t have a fixed display size with an adjustable screen from 6.7 inches to 7.4 inches. OPPO gave an example of how this smartphone works: when a user clicks on a video link, the screen adjusts to the aspect ratio.
- What are the components inside the Huawei Mate 40 Pro?
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 3
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 2
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 1
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite 5G review part 2
In its basic form, the OPPO X 2021 has a screen size of 6.7 inches. It’s an OLED panel with a highly durable Warp Track display underneath, and it’s just 0.1mm thick at its thinnest point. It is not clear what material OPPO uses to protect the screen of this phone but most likely it is some kind of plastic.
Thanks to the dual scrolling motor below, OPPO is able to create a screen that doesn’t fold, something current folding screen smartphones are still trying to fix. The motor can retract and expand with the force evenly distributed across both halves of the screen.
The OPPO X 2021 also has a motor frame consisting of a fixed frame and a moving frame placed on top. The gapless 2-in-1 panel design prevents the screen from collapsing thanks to metal support underneath the panel.
Currently, this phone is still at concept level and it is not clear when OPPO will commercialize it. However, with LG and most recently OPPO entering the roll-screen smartphone market, we probably won’t have to wait long to experience this new technology on phones.