After days of waiting, Apple has finally released the iPhone 12 mini, the most compact iPhone in the 12 generation of this year.
If you still keep your iPhone 7 because newer iPhones are too big then the iPhone 12 mini is Apple’s solution to this problem. Also, if you are wondering if the iPhone 12 mini is worth the upgrade from the iPhone 7 then read on below.
- iPhone 7 – 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm, weighs 138g, water resistant IP67
- iPhone 12 mini – 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm, weighs 135g, is IP68 water resistant
If you’re still using the iPhone 7 for its compact design, you’ll love the iPhone 12 mini. Despite having a better processor, larger screen, improved camera and Face ID, the iPhone 12 mini is lighter and more compact than the iPhone 7.
That’s not to mention, the iPhone 12 mini has a much more modern design with thinner bezels and lots of youthful color options.
- iPhone 7 – 4.7-inch Retina HD (1,334 x 750 pixels) IPS LCD True Tone panel, 326 ppi, 3D Touch
- iPhone 12 mini – 5.4-inch, 2,340 x 1,180 Super Retina XDR display, 476 ppi, Haptic Touch, HDR Display, True Tone, HDR10, Dolby Vision
Despite its smaller overall size, the iPhone 12 mini comes with a 0.7-inch larger screen than the iPhone 7. It is also a higher-resolution OLED panel that offers a better contrast ratio. and supports HDR, Dolby Vision and True Tone. There’s no 3D Touch on the iPhone 12 Mini’s Super Retina XDR display, but we have Face ID in return.
- iPhone 7 – A10 Bionic, 10nm chip, 6-core CPU, 4-core GPU
- iPhone 12 mini – A14 Bionic, 5nm chip, 16 core Neural engine
Currently, the Apple A10 Fusion chip inside the iPhone 7 is still able to handle the daily tasks of the user well. However, when compared, the Apple A14 Bionic chip on the iPhone 12 mini is on a completely different “level”. Not only is it significantly more powerful, but it’s also more energy efficient. In fact, this is the fastest CPU and GPU you’ll find inside a smartphone.
When used every day, iPhone 7 can perform well but the device starts to experience lag, jerky when running graphics-heavy games. iPhone 12 mini also has more RAM, so the ability to multitask is also significantly better than the “elder brother”.
- iPhone 7 – 32GB, 128GB, 2GB RAM
- iPhone 12 mini – 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 4GB RAM
The base variant of the iPhone 7 ships with 32GB of internal memory while this figure is on the iPhone 12 mini with 64GB of internal storage. In addition, the maximum storage capacity of the iPhone 12 mini is up to 256GB, double the 128GB of the iPhone 7. More importantly, the iPhone 12 mini has twice the RAM capacity of the iPhone 7, allowing the machine to run smoothly. heavy games and applications.
- iPhone 7 – Single 12MP rear camera setup with f / 1.8 aperture, OIS, Auto HDR, True Tone Quad-LED flash; Front: 7MP FaceTime HD camera, f / 2.2 aperture, Flash Retina
- iPhone 12 mini – Dual 12MP camera setup with f / 1.6 and f / 2.4 apertures, 1.4um large pixels, OIS, Smart HDR 3, Focus Pixels, portrait mode with depth control and raised bokeh Highlight, True Tone flash brighter, Night mode, Time-lapse night mode; Front: 12MP FaceTime HD camera, f / 2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, Night mode, Deep Fusion
When comparing the camera setup of the iPhone 7 with the iPhone 12 mini, there is no arguing that the iPhone 7 is completely inferior to its juniors. This shows how mobile photography has evolved in recent years.
Both phones have the same 12MP rear camera resolution, but the iPhone 12 mini has a larger and better sensor along with a large pixel size as well as a larger aperture, allowing it to take pictures with similar range reacts better and gets more light. The image processing algorithm is also improved thanks to Smart HDR 3 and Deep Fusion.
The iPhone 12 mini also has night mode support for all of its cameras – a feature missing from the iPhone 7. The new iPhone also has a secondary 12MP ultra-wide-angle camera that lets you take pictures with a completely different perspective.
The iPhone 12 mini also has a better front-facing camera, which not only has a higher resolution, but it also supports Deep Fusion, Night Mode and Portrait modes.
- iPhone 7 – Touch ID sensor integrated into the Home button at the front
- iPhone 12 – Face ID
iPhone 7 has a physical Home button with a built-in Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Although this technology is considered outdated, phone manufacturers have moved towards a bezel-less experience. Face ID on the iPhone 12 mini is a more modern feature than Touch ID, but in some cases – like wearing a mask, Touch ID is much more convenient than Face ID.
- iPhone 7 – Up to 13 hours of video playback, 40 hours of music playback
- iPhone 12 mini – Up to 15 hours of video playback, 50 hours of music
Besides the camera, screen and design, battery life is also a pretty important aspect for you to decide whether to upgrade the iPhone 7 to the iPhone 12 mini or not. Right now, it’s more likely that your iPhone 7’s battery will drop below 80% if you’ve been using it for many years without replacing it. And that is clearly one reason you should “upgrade” the new iPhone.
In addition to the better battery capacity, the iPhone 12 mini also offers faster wired fast charging as well as support for Qi wireless charging as well as MagSafe. These are all features that the iPhone 7 doesn’t have.
Through the above comparison, it can be seen that the iPhone 12 mini is a worthy upgrade of the iPhone 7. If you have money, you should definitely consider selling the old iPhone 7 and immediately buy the iPhone 12 mini .