According to a new report by DigiTimes, one of Apple’s upcoming iPhone 12 models will be equipped with a LiDAR scanner, a new feature that first appeared on the iPad Pro 2020.
It is known that LiDAR is an acronym for “light detection and ranging”. It was primarily used in the automotive industry before coming to mobile devices. LiDAR component makers are believed to be benefiting from the development of scanning technology.
- What are the components inside the Huawei Mate 40 Pro?
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 3
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 2
- Note 20 Ultra, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Xperia 1 II, Mate 40 Pro camera review and comparison part 1
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite 5G review part 2
LiDAR can measure distances by illuminating the target through laser light and measuring the reflectance with the sensor. This data can then be used to create accurate 3D maps of an object or environment, and can greatly improve the augmented reality experience.
The report predicts that this LiDAR technology will be increasingly applied to consumer electronics applications in the coming years, as Apple is expected to “use this technology in some My new iPhone model. ” So it is likely that only the more premium iPhone 12 Pro models will be equipped with the new LiDAR scanner, in line with previous rumors said.
This technology has been rumored to be available on the iPhone 12 Pro for a long time. Some leaks claim that the LiDAR scanner will only be available on the top-end 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max model, but others suggest it will appear on 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro models. The more affordable iPhone 12 models won’t have this new technology, and they even have dual rear cameras. Let’s wait and see!